Workers’ Compensation Lawyers for California Farm Workers
Agricultural Worker Injury Attorneys in California
Pacific Workers', The Lawyers for Injured Workers proudly represents workers from all industries, including California’s massive agricultural and commercial farming industries. If you were injured while completing farmwork or any other task given by your employer, then you might be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. Even if you are not officially employed by the agricultural company or farm owner, or you do not have immigration documentation that allows you to legally work in the United States, you could still have a valid claim to workers’ compensation. All consultations with our farm worker injury lawyers are free and confidential, so you have nothing to worry about when reaching out to us for help.
Please call (888) 740-6434 now. Hablamos español.
Workers’ Comp Coverage for Farm Workers in California
California employment law requires employers to provide workers’ compensation coverage to their workers in most circumstances, which includes farm workers, agricultural employees, and undocumented workers who are paid through unofficial channels. If you are paid for agricultural or farm work anywhere in the state, then you might be covered by workers’ compensation insurance. At the least, your employer might be required to cover you.
However, exceptions can apply to your work situation that make it so you are not covered. To figure out if you are or should be covered due to California’s employment laws, call (888) 740-6434 and talk to our agricultural employee workers’ compensation lawyers.
If you are eligible for workers’ compensation, the benefits might include:
- Coverage for necessary medical treatments for a work-related injury or illness.
- Partial coverage of typical wages.
- Disability benefits if unable to return to work.
- Vocational retraining benefits to help you find new work.
Again, we won’t know your potential workers’ compensation benefits until we are given a chance to review your specific case. You might be ineligible for some of the above benefits but be eligible for unlisted benefits, for example.
Dark Side of the Farm Industry
The farming industry is absolutely essential to the health and economy of the country, yet you might not know it based on how some agricultural companies treat their workers. Employment and workers’ compensation law attorneys know that there is a dark side to the agricultural industry across America, including here in California. Many workers face undue complications, hardships, and mistreatment that only worsen if they get injured while on the job.
Three serious issues in the farm industry include:
- Unsafe work conditions: The conditions in an agricultural workplace can be notoriously dangerous. The U.S. Department of Agriculture will conduct evaluations of agricultural workplaces, but these evaluations can be few and far between. Some employers will take advantage of this lack of oversight by allowing unsafe working conditions in between inspections.
- Unlawful denial of workers’ comp benefits: As mentioned, most workers in California should be covered by workers’ compensation insurance to some degree, even agricultural workers who are not official employees. Yet many farm workers are wrongfully told by their employers that they are not entitled to workers’ comp benefits by virtue of their employment status.
- Unjustified threats of deportation: Some agricultural employers will go as far as to threaten to contact United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) if a farm worker is injured. If the worker is an undocumented immigrant or is in the country on a temporary or contingent work visa, then the threat of deportation could be enough to stop them from seeking the benefits that they are owed.
Accidents & Injuries in the Agriculture Industry
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that the agricultural industry is among the most dangerous industries in the country. Farmers, agricultural workers, and others in this field have a higher-than-average risk of serious injury or death, often due to employers who are too relaxed with safety protocols. Our attorneys can help you if you were hurt by any sort of agricultural workplace accident, or if you lost a loved one to a fatal farm industry accident.
Serious accidents and injuries in the agricultural industry vary, such as:
- Crush injuries
- Caught-in machinery accidents
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Heat stroke
- Back injuries
Let Us Stand Up for Your Rights – Call Now
Call our California farm labor workers’ compensation attorneys of Pacific Workers', The Lawyers for Injured Workers now by dialing (888) 740-6434. We can investigate your case, see if you should be given workers’ compensation benefits, and create a plan to secure them or a fair settlement if you are. Our lawyers are proud to stand up for the hardworking agricultural professionals in California, especially when an employer tries to short their benefits and care.
Let us fight for you. Schedule a FREE, confidential consultation now.